EMN is a member-based not-for-profit organisation based in Brussels (currently 112 members in 24 countries), which promotes microfinance as a tool to fight social and financial exclusion in Europe through self-employment and the creation of microenterprises. It is the Network’s mission to facilitate capacity building and to advocate on behalf of the sector.
We are looking for a dynamic person to join our team (7 FTE) as Network and Training Officer.
You will be based in Brussels and be part of the EMN Secretariat. You report directly to the Partnerships Manager (PM) and are responsible for two main areas of focus:
- networking enhancement: your role will be to strengthen the links of the members to the network and reinforce EMN’s value proposition for membership. This includes spotting (training) needs and respond to them accordingly as well as creating favourable conditions to enhance exchange between the member organisations.
- training programme development & implementation: the co-ordination of EMN’s technical assistance / training services proposed to the sector will fall in your hands. In most cases, EMN delegates the actual delivery of the activity to external experts, thus you shall be responsible for the development of the experts’ database and the relationship with these experts, as well as the monitoring and improvement of the services. You shall have the overall coordination of EMN’s training programme and monitor the individual sessions. The technical assistance / training services should be designed following the feedback from the members and should evolve and adapt to the sector’s requirements, while balancing impact and efficiency.
Beyond these two main areas, you will also (on an ad-hoc basis) provide support to the PM in the application process for funding (e.g. respond to call for proposals) or in the negotiation for partnership establishment (e.g. develop tailored partnership proposal), particularly when related to the above-mentioned activities.
The position has no direct staff responsibility, but could take on an intern, when needs justify.
- Capacity Building facilitation for the sector
- Be responsible for the definition and update EMN’s capacity building activities and services and implementation plan
- Co-ordinate EMN’s services and activities related to training towards EMN members and the European MF sector in general. The activities under this framework will be related to tailored trainings, trainings on the Code of Good Conduct for Microcredit Provision, investment readiness trainings, dissemination of good practices (events), etc.
- Propose and design attractive training contents responding to the needs identified (bottom-up approach) and to the trends in the sector (e.g. hot and new topics, such as digitalisation, assessing social impact, environmental responsibility of financial service providers etc.)
- The co-ordination will include the direct management of the contracts established in order to fund these activities (e.g. EaSI TA programme or other donor’s financed programmes, etc.)
- Spot and respond to relevant call for proposals to further develop this activity
- Develop EMN’s expert’s database to cover the areas of expertise needed
- Networking enhancement activities
- Actively incentivize members’ participation in EMN activities / events
- Suggest and implement innovative ways of engaging with the members.
- Design and offer new or enhanced services available for the membership. Make EMN membership attractive.
- Assess and work to improve satisfaction level of EMN members
- Other tasks
- Develop project proposals (applications) to create opportunities to further develop the services and activities on offer; including monitoring and reporting if successful.
- Co-ordinate the communications and the promotion of the Capacity Building related activities of the organization with the respective staff.
- Adapt the execution of the respective tasks carried out in collaboration with external partners.
- External representation of the organization on issues related to the provision of Capacity Building services from EMN.
- Report on all aspects related to the previous tasks on a regular basis;
These responsibilities are not of a limitative character, but might evolve over time and are defined together with the employee and the employer.
Skills & Requirements
- Working experience (1-5 years) in a membership-driven/based organisation, including:
- Experience in the design, preparation and implementation of Capacity Building services, including experience in facilitation of collaborative group discussion
- Experience in network animation, including experience in techniques to strengthen the links of the members to the network
- Working experience in microfinance, social or ethical finance, social enterprise or similar is a strong asset.
- Experience in project-writing to attract new funding; concise writing skills
- Well-organised and innovative-thinking mind; openness to test new approaches
- Comfortable managing multiple projects and competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge in Word, Excel, PowerPoint is a must; knowledge in other technologies that support project management (such as Trello), group communications (e.g. Slack) or decision-making (e.g. Loomio) are considered as added-value
- Full professional proficiency in English. Other European languages will be considered a plus
- Legally fit to work in the EU/Belgium
Other soft skills and requirements
- Capacity to work in a small, international team (7 FTE) with a horizontal organisational structure and strong emphasis on teamwork and collaboration.
- Be adaptative and possess a strong sense for a collaborative approach with member and partner organisations for the common delivery of the services and activities under the role.
- Readiness for travelling (approx. 15% of the time)
- Understanding of the role and functions of membership organisations.
Terms of appointment
The is a full-time position based at EMN’s office at: Rue de l’Industrie 10. 1000 Brussels – Belgium. Homeworking is possible when agreed.
This is a senior appointment in the organisation and gross remuneration will be agreed with the preferred candidate in the range of € 35k – 40k commensurate with skills and experience. Employment contract under the Belgian law. 20 holidays are available from the first year.
In addition, EMN provides a subsidy for travel between home and workplace, representation expenses, hospitalisation insurance, annual bonus and meal vouchers.
How to apply
Applications should be sent by email to Caroline Lentz email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 18:00, Brussels time, on 3rd April 2019. Only the candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted during the week starting 8th April 2019.
Please enclose with your application a Curriculum Vitae (up to 2 pages) and a Motivation Letter (up to 1 page). Failure to provide these documents will lead to an automatic rejection of the application.
All your documents will be treated confidentially and be shared only with the recruitment panel of EMN.