Job title: General Manager
Position based in: Brussels, Belgium
Contract duration: Permanent
Application deadline: 11 March, 9am (CET)
To continue to lead and shape the debate in a fast-evolving European microfinance market, EMN is looking for a General Manager (GM) who will co-define its positioning for the five years to come, bring the organisation to the next level and create a modern membership organisation fit for the digital age. As the head of a member-driven organisation, the GM will value and foster constructive debate, believe in co-creation and care about human relationships.
The GM will be a senior leader in the microfinance ecosystem, with a good understanding of the sector, a broad network, and the ability to develop a visionary perspective as the organisation evolves. They will be responsible for developing and executing the strategy to fulfil EMN’s mission and lead the advocacy and fundraising efforts of the organisation while becoming the main ambassador representing the interests of the microfinance industry in Europe.
Together with the Secretariat team, the GM is also responsible for securing and deploying the necessary financial and human resources for EMN. This will allow EMN to continue to be a sustainable, vibrant organisation that can enable its members – mainly microfinance practitioners based in Europe – to maximise their societal impact by meeting its key strategic objectives and respecting its legal obligations. The GM role is a full-time position, based in Brussels.
- Lead the advocacy efforts of the organisation in driving the EU policy debate and development in line with the market’s and members’ needs.
- Lead the network’s external representation efforts as an influential and compelling ambassador of a sector driven by its social mission.
- Secure the support of current and additional funders to achieve EMN’s mission, including the current strategic partnership with the European Commission.
- Leverage the talents of people with different perspectives, styles, and cultural origins.
- Drive engagement by creating a work climate where people are motivated to do their best.
- Develop and implement the strategy, reporting on progress and results in reaching strategic objectives and organisational effectiveness on a regular basis.
- Build synergies and relationships across the sector, ensuring EMN strengthens the most relevant partnerships to be able to co-create an inclusive and global ecosystem.
- Foster the growth of the EMN membership and offer strong added-value services to the members.
The successful candidate will possess the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- A University Degree level education
- A minimum of 12 years of relevant professional experience in either associations or not-for-profit sectors, with a track record of having good business sense and judgment in making strategic as well as operational decisions.
- Professional experience in financial inclusion or social finance, or any related sector.
- Strong experience in moving the advocacy agenda of an organisation forward and achieving results.
- Demonstrated capacity to network and represent externally.
- Proven track record in building and supporting a team. Prior managerial experience is a must-have.
- Experience in co-designing and executing strategies, together with a Secretariat team and in dialogue with a Board of Directors.
- Proven track record of fundraising and business development.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to articulate and convey important messages in a compelling manner.
- Ability to write clearly and effectively in English.
The following will be highly valued:
- A well-developed knowledge of the European non-for-profit or association landscape.
- Exposure to or experience with present-day membership organisation in the digital age.
- Exposure to and experience with multi-stakeholder management and ecosystem development.
- International experience.
- Command of one or more European language other than English.
The candidate will:
- Be pro-active, a self-starter, and a team player, co-creating initiatives with the Secretariat Team that move EMN towards achieving its vision and mission while seeking feedback from the board in an open and constructive manner.
- Be a co-creator, building an ecosystem for alternative social finance with key stakeholders.
- Be organised and effective, striving to achieve a lot with the resources available.
- Instil trust and demonstrate commitment to the core ambition of EMN, which is to develop financial inclusion through alternative social finance instruments.
- Be an active listener and bring advisory capabilities.
- Have capability to assess new ideas or opportunities and transform them into added-value services.
- Foster innovation in processes and practices.
- Understand the entrepreneurial spirit.
Application procedure & appointment process
To apply please read the detailed vacancy description and send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is 9am (CET) on Thursday, 11th March 2021. The salary is competitive and commensurate with the seniority of the appointment. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited to a first interview with the Selection Committee by end of March 2021. An individual external assessment of the described competences could be part of the process.