Title: Project & Administrative Assistant
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Status: Internship (Convention d'immersion professionnelle)
Period covered: 9 months
Starting date: November 2020 (date to be agreed with candidate)
Deadline: 9 October 2020 14:00 CEST (interviews will be held during the application period).
EMN is currently seeking to hire a person to assist the Network and Training Officer (NTO) and the whole secretariat with EMN projects, administration, events (mostly happening all online now), and office-based tasks. The opportunity will allow you to increase your understanding of the internal processes of EU projects and problem-solving skills in a business environment. Trainees are fully involved in all aspects of our work, providing full immersion in the team and the possibility to increase your professional network.
These responsibilities are not of a limitative character but might evolve over time and are defined together with the candidate and the EMN Secretariat.
To support the implementation of EMN’s activities, according to EMN’s work plan:
- Support the NTO during the implementation and reporting of EU funded projects,
- Support the implementation of research projects
- Support the organisation of EMN Events,
- Support the EMN team with office and administrative tasks.
1. Support the NTO during the implementation and reporting of EU funded projects (under the supervision of the NTO and the Finance and Administration Officer (FAO) - 65%
Specifically, 2 projects: EaSI TA project has a range of support activities for European microcredit providers, including workshops and training, to help build up their institutional capacity and to disseminate and promote best practices. The project from the JPM Foundation also provides Technical Assistance to microfinance intermediaries but has a wider scope per institution.
- Liaise with experts, speakers and project partners to communicate assignment conditions,
- Prepare contractual and administrative documents for project experts and speakers,
- Depending on the interns’ development, they could get the opportunity to independently suggest topics, draft, organise and prepare activities within these projects
- Manage and process invoices, reimbursements and related documents according to project requirements,
- Maintain order in project folders, documents and paperwork (both hard and soft copies),
- Compose and develop of short studies and reports on ‘Good Practices’ from the sector and/or other institutions,
- Compile and prepare documents, reports and invoices for projects event and the financial reporting phases under the supervision of the NTO and FAO.
2. Support the implementation of research projects (under the supervision of the Senior Research Officer) - 20%
EMN research projects cover a variety of topics that encompasses microfinance sector’s performance, impact and legislation, digitalisation, financial health.
- To provide general support on research and information gathering;
- To provide support in the preparation of dissemination materials;
- To assist in the implementation and reporting of research projects, as required;
- Under guidance, drafting short reports and other documents, as required.
3. Support the organisation of EMN events (under the supervision of the Events Officer) - 10%
The Annual Conference is EMN’s main event and usually brings together about 600 people. The 2021 event is being organised in person and, circumstances willing, it will take place in Brussels in June 2021. The event could become an online event, if not.
- Provide support to the Events Officer as and when required with logistics in the run up to, on the day of, and following the event.
- Compile documentation for the event, including the conference booklet, speakers’ biographies, important information etc.
- Liaise with the local Professional Conference Organiser (PCO) and speakers and delegates, if necessary.
- Support in the update of a website and Event App dedicated to the Annual Conference, as required
- Evaluate feedback, and draft and publish an event report based on this feedback post-event.
4. Support the EMN team with ad-hoc office management tasks - 5%
The EMN team is made up of 9 staff members from diverse backgrounds who deal with a range of activities including events, research, advocacy, communication and finance.
- Support in administrative ad hoc tasks related to the projects managed together with the NTO.
- Gather, scan and file documents (contracts, attendance lists, feedback forms etc), as required.
- General or specific support/services to the EMN team.
- An interest in microfinance, inclusive finance and inclusive entrepreneurship;
- Strong ability to write concisely and convincingly in English;
- Ability to draft reports and prepare presentations;
- Computer skills required, particularly of MS-Office package (Excel and Word);
- Ability to cope with diverse tasks;
- Good organisational and time management skills;
- The candidate should demonstrate coordination, planning, organisation, monitoring and follow-up skills as well as a strong eye for details;
- Positive and open-minded work attitude, both for team and independent work;
- Legally able to work in Europe.
The following would be highly valued:
- Some initial experience working with EU Institutions;
- Other languages of EU member states;
- Educational qualifications up to Master’s level in economics, finance, political science or another relevant field.
The candidate will be based at the EMN office in Brussels (Avenue des Arts 7-8, 1210) though under COVID-19 scenario, teleworking is the norm. They will be offered an internship contract (convention d'immersion professionnelle).
To apply, please send your CV (max. 2 pages) and a motivation letter (max. 1 page) in English, demonstrating your suitability to the above role, to the attention of Adriana Olmedo and Kate Mazoyer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for applications is 9th October 2020 at 14:00 (CEST). Please be aware that interviews will take place during the application period as well as in the week following the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.