Position: Finance and Administration Officer at EMN
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Starting Date: Anticipated May 22, 2022
Reporting to: General Manager
Background and Job Description:
The European Microfinance Network is the main membership-based organization for all microfinance activities in the region. EMN provides technical assistance, updated publications and webinars on the newest trends in the sector, as well as lobbying and state of the art information about EU related policies and sources of funding.
The Finance and Administration Officer (FAO) is responsible for most of the administrative and financial tasks that are generated through the activities of the organization. Specifically, the FAO is responsible for the accounting and financial audits; for budgeting, monitoring the budget allocations and treasury of the organization; for the general administration and office management, while remaining vigilant to the applicable legal and regulatory framework that the organization operates in. Responsibilities also include assistance in the preparation of annual budgets and quarterly reviews, assistance in the preparation of quarterly financial information for the Management, Board of Directors and donors, aid to achieving the annual external audit closely with the General Manager (GM). The FAO reports directly to the GM.
It is envisioned that while the position will include administration in the first phase, after a few months, the focus will be on accounting and finance only, with more emphasis on financial analysis and support to the GM and board.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
a) Accounting and Financial Management
• Assist bookkeeper to ensure accurate accountancy: allocation per donor, accounting codes and budget lines;
• Ensure that all expenses/income are authorized, valid (eligibility of the invoice following appropriate legal rules), properly justified, properly entered in the accountancy;
• Provide financial statements on a quarterly basis to the Treasurer of the Board respecting EMN procedures and deadlines; including cashflow statement.
• Manage the presentation, circulation, filing and archiving of accounting and financial documents in conformity with EMN procedures;
• Cooperate with GM in the preparation of financial reports;
• Facilitate internal and external financial audits;
• Set up & formalize procedures for expenditure, define methods & timescales for payment according to the Belgian law and compliance with other framework contracts (e.g. EC Grant Agreement, EaSI Technical Assistance, etc.). Ensure valid purchase proofs (contracts, orders, bills, invoices, delivery receipts, etc.);
• Provide financial analysis as needed by GM, including but not limited to, calculation of overhead rate and break even point for any new project
• Define amount of funding required for 2024 and beyond
• Assess cash-flow needs for projects and communicate forecast cash-flow to the requests of the Treasurer;
• Oversee the management of bank accounts: follow transfers, check balances, check authorized visas, etc.;
• Open/close bank accounts on the authority of the GM and the Board and establish the signatories of the accounts;
• Ensure regular cash/bank controls.
c) Budget Management
• Ensure budget follow-up on a quarterly basis: Analyse gaps between planned budgets and actual expenses, balance; Ensure match with the finance plan and anticipate financial risks; report discrepancies to GM;
• Ensure that the budget information is transmitted;
• Prepare budget amendments to donors, if required;
• Establish budget proposals in coordination with the GM, the Secretariat team and the Treasurer;
• Guarantee respect of donor procedures for fin. contracts
• Be able to give accurate answer on budgetary questions (budget lines, balance, extension…);
• Permanent monitoring of use of financial resources.
d) General Administration
• Guarantee the respect of administrative and legal framework (particular focus on the labour law) in Belgium;
• Prepare & follow-up of contracts (service providers, tenancy agreement, insurance contracts, legal services, etc.) and ensure their compliance;
• Be the contact point with all Human Resources related regulations (social secretariat, insurance, IDEWE, etc.);
• Update staff members record sheets and follow-up;
• Ensure that the salary payment is accurate and made on time on a monthly basis;
• Ensure the attendance sheets are maintained (paid leave, working days, health, absences) respecting procedures;
• In coordination with GM, review levels of authorization and financial processes and make proposals for improvements
• Update membership fees in CRM and annual membership fee billing.
• In coordination with GM, ensure by laws are updated and prepare corresponding paperwork to submit to Moniteur Belge
• In coordination with GM, develop business model for financial intermediation (into 2024 and beyond_
• Support GM in preparing grant proposals/budgets
e) Team work
• Actively involved in the execution of the Annual Conference;
• Participation in Team Meetings;
• Other support as needed
Required skills :
• Finance or economics degree preferred with at least 8 years experience ;
• Fluent French and English;
• Excellent knowledge of Windows Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint);
• Professional experience in Treasury, accounting or office management;
• Knowledge of Belgium laws especially for non profits is a plus
• Experience in financial analysis and management
• Proactive, positive and collaborative mindset
• Any experience in financial reporting to the EU would be appreciated
• An attractive salary for the non-profit sector with a range of 2,800 to 3,800 monthly gross based on the candidate’s experience;
• 5 week-holidays;
• Reimbursement of monthly « STIB abonnement »;
• Lunch passes;
• Hospital insurance ;
• Inclusion in the organisation’s bonus plan (based on team performance);
• Working location in the heart of Brussels with flexible, hybrid work (2 to 3 days in the office, 2 to 3 days working from home)
Please send your application (CV+ motivation letter) in French or English by May 5, COB to email@example.com
Interviews will start the week of May 8.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.